Last Updated on
Things to Keep in Mind When Choosing a Bail Bond Company in Connecticut
If you or a family member faces arrest, then the first thing that you want to do is to get bail so that you can prepare a strong defense. There are many bail bond companies out there and they want your business.
The court decides the amount to be paid for bail in order to secure release. If you cannot arrange for the bail money, then a bail bond service can help you.
Compare bail bond companies over the following criteria
- Reputation – It is imperative that you use the services of a bail bond agency that has built a reputation for itself. Online reviews are a guideline. These will inform you of the trustworthiness and professionalism of the company. It is understood that the company you hire should be licensed.
- Transparency – A bail bond company has to be transparent from the very beginning about their fees and costs that you are likely to incur during the process of posting bail, and if, the agency has to track an out-on-bail fugitive.
- Affordable – The services should be affordable. This is different from a bail bond service being cheap. A bail bond agency enticing you with very low fees is best avoided. They will not be able to provide you with service when you most need it and may ultimately leave you with an avoidable huge expense. Usually, bail fee is set at 10% of the bail amount. If it’s way lower than this, then it’s a red flag.
- Ask questions – Ask questions based on what you’re reading here and on the research that you do. Check if the agency provides service round the clock. Are they patient with your questions? Do they come across as an agency that will make an effort on your behalf? If they’re open and answer your questions about costs, procedures, time-frame, etc. then that’s a green flag.
- Website – A bail bond company’s website is a powerful advertisement for their business. Does the website appear authentic? Are the addresses mentioned? You may want to call up the address closest to your location and fix a face-to-face appointment. Good bail bond websites carry a lot of useful information in the form of articles and news pieces.
While you may not be able to properly assess a bail bondsman on attributes such as knowledge, trustworthiness, and eagerness to help, you can still gain a fair idea by asking questions and then comparing Connecticut bail bonds services.
A knowledgeable bail bond company will be fully aware of state and federal laws regarding securing bail and also tracking an out-of-bail person should the need arise. Each case is different, and a qualified bail bondsman can help you based on experience. He can inform you of the choices available and guide you on the best course of action. Knowledge on how the judges in a county or city are likely to view a particular offense is of immense help. Ask about the number of years a bail bonds company has been working, the number of cases handled in a month, and related matters.
Bail bondsmen have to be trustworthy. Do the agents give you an impression of trustworthiness or as simply eager to grab business from you? Do the assurances that they give appear reasonable based on your research? Can they explain procedures that they’ll follow?
A bail bond agency that is eager to help you will demonstrate flexibility in terms of accommodating you depending on your financial status. They must be able to provide you with a flexible payment plan. Bail bondsmen are involved in a job that can require their commitment and presence at any time of the day. Check if the bail bond company is eager or reluctant to meet you after regular hours. Try not to meet at a place other than their office or the place where the person is locked up. If they’re okay, then that’s a good sign.